Once summer’s over, the countdown to the holidays is on! Don’t let it catch you by surprise – there are plenty of things you can do to get ready before the rush kicks in. Here are five ways to prepare early:
· Create a budget: Don’t overspend this year. Shopping last minute, when the stores are packed and shelves are bare, increases the chance of you overspending on things you might not have bought if you were prepared. This year, create a list and a budget and start shopping early so you avoid that massive mall rush.
· Clean up the house: Purging and getting rid of clutter is a great way to prepare your space for decorations. Starting in the fall, start looking for things to toss or donate so you have a clean slate once you’re officially ready to decorate.
· Book events or travel: Travel prices are already increasing, so if you plan on going anywhere for the holidays, book sooner rather than later. This also ensures you get a better deal and better choice of rooms or airplane seats.
· Don’t stress: It’s easy to get caught up in the stress of the holidays, but one thing you can do to get ready for the rush is to acknowledge that you’re taking things slower this year. Don’t overextend yourself or commit to too many things.
· Stock up on essential ingredients: When you’re making a holiday meal, the last thing you want to do is run out of butter. Or broth. Or any number of holiday ingredients. Start stocking up on non-perishable items in the weeks leading up to the holidays and make sure you’ve got plenty of perishables to get you through the holiday meals without an emergency store run!
The rush toward the holiday season seems to start earlier every year! By embracing a few of these tips, you’ll no doubt find things less stressful (but more jovial!).